Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Too hot!


The heat index continues to soar. I think I am going to die if I do not get some relief from the heat. The current code orange air quality and heat indices near 110 require that I stay home. The tedium is as oppressive as the heat. Therefore I type. Lucky for me you guys read. This blog entry is the cry of a desperate New Jersey transplant who cannot tolerate this heat.
I promise you when we moved here in 1982 the summer was severe. Luckily we bought a home with central air. John and I grew up in the age of window units. Happiness abounded within the young couple. We would not be changing out units and storing the monsters in the basement.
The summer of 1992 was the summer I learned how to sweat. This was not the run of the mill glisten or a bead or two on the forehead. This was a full fledged dripping wet sweat which I understand is an acquired behavior. The sight of my sweat amused my spouse. He can be so funny. I think I have sweated less then ten times in the 28 years of oppressive heat.
I first experienced the sight of perfuse perspiration one morning in 1981. John was changing the tire of my Granada. I hit a pot hole in the road near Wheeling on my way to Cincinnati. As he was loosening the lug nuts sweat started to pour. I had never seen anyone sweat like a flowing river. I was scared to death. I demanded that this 24 year old stop immediately. I think the exact quote was, “Stop you’re having a hear attack!”
Admittedly I had never seen such sweat. I worked critical care. It was a no brainer. Exactly! After I got the “I am marrying a nut job look”, John stopped and explained a few facts of life to me. The sweat from this farm boy flowed like a stream, normally. It was a fact of life. I thought I knew all about hot and sweaty. I had two brothers and a sister. We were always outside playing. (I bet I can still point out the bases on Sleepy Hollow Road in Stratford, NJ.) Guess which one of us had to use MITCHUM antiperspirant as a teen? Sea Isle city was our summer play ground. I know all about physical fitness.
. My body still does not cool itself efficiently. Thank goodness for air conditioning because this silly girl does not do heat well. Anybody want to go to the beach? I’ll drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment