Saturday, April 24, 2010

Short lived long term goals:


This week I started pulmonary rehab. The purpose of the therapy is to improve my function and quality of life. I am not whining but would love to be able to attend yoga classes and ride a bicycle through the neighborhood.
I promise I am not going to go crazy and adapt the principles of the osteo anorexia group. Some well meaning individuals want me to stop all medicine stop seeing the doctor and stick to a rigid diet. (Osteo in this case means straight). Anorexia has a plethora of meanings just a Google stroke away. I agree that exercise is very important as well as a well balanced diet, however, my asthma is exercised induced. In other words, the more I exercise, the more I cough gag and spew. Nothing would please me more then to be able to run the mile in the record speed that I did at Manasquan High School. I would love to run the Spring Lake 5K again. Right now I will settle for walking on the tread mill for a set amount of time.
Therapy started on Tuesday and I was stymied. 6 minutes at a snails pace does not a happy me make. I can do better, sure easy. Just pace yourself.
Thursday came and I started the routine. Okay I am about to trip over my feet. I increase the rate of the tread mill. Yes I did. I was so proud to be able to do almost ¼ of a mile in that 6 minute period. Next the arm bike which was easy little or no resistance, I tore through that exercise. Next in line was the recumbent stair climber completed at 84-87 steps a minute, not bad for the second day of therapy. Finally I finished the Aerodyne bike 6 minutes of arm and leg exercise. I was burning up the road. I actually broke a sweat, which this Yankee learned to do after living here for a few years. The air in the room was noticeable stuffy.
Next it was time for a cool down. I was so proud that I pushed it! I was going to conquer the beast! I will return Monday and start the week again at a sure fire higher level.

NOT SO FAST BOZO!

How come you are coughing and having trouble breathing. (SUCKS IN AIR) Pursed lip breathing. SLOW…. Inhale through the nose exhale through the pursed lips. Could I be having an asthma attack? Yup money is on the dummy who over did it at therapy.
Thank goodness Frank Jett helped me get a portable nebulizer that lives in the car along with the necessary drugs. Needless to say the treatment was an embarrassment, but a relief.
I will be using my inhaler prior to working out from now on.
I do not feel sorry for myself, I did something stupid and I paid the price.
So guys when you give me advice and I roll my eyes don’t take it personally. I am going to try it and you’ll read about it soon, promise.

2 comments:

  1. Remember all the stuff you told me to do when I played soccer/basketball/softball? I remember you telling me to take my inhaler before each game. You should listen to yourself, mommy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I had just finished a treatment on my way to therapy... duh...silly mommy.. Love you.
    BTW Beth nailed me for the same thing...
    Love my girls. :)

    ReplyDelete