Thursday, October 14, 2010

Thoughts about a friend



Loosing a friend

Loosing a friend is never easy. There are times of death or a change in geographic location that will permanently affect a friendship. I need to discuss the loss of a friendship through misunderstanding. It hurts deeply and will for some time. I still tear up when I think about the loss.
A few weeks ago there was an open house and I was not supposed to attend. At the last minute I received a phone call from the individual who was asked to “handle it.” He wanted me to be there so I made arrangements to attend.
The day of the event the friend (I have now lost) and I talked on the phone. We talked about the upcoming event in detail. I do not remember the conversation. I wish I could.
The event came and all went well. The individual who was holding the meeting could not attend and sent his assistant. Time passed.
Several attempts were made to talk to this individual in the following weeks. Many excuses were made not to talk to me. Finally after two weeks, I asked the question what was wrong.
To summarize: I was told that I had attended the function and intentionally chose not to include the party.
I have never heard such anger from this individual.
I would never intentionally hurt any individual.
The facts are that I was not in charge of the function or the guest list.
I was told another individual would take care of the session. Later that week, that party called me and asked me to help out. I did not know if others were called and I did not ask.

I am sorry for the hurt I have caused this individual. It hurts. However I have learned a lesson. The individual should have listen to the whole story and not jumped to a conclusion. My friendship was shallow. If the individual knew me well, the accusation would not make sense. Those who know me well know I would never intentionally hurt another human being.
The reason I am writing this is to get the message out to all readers. Please remember friendship is a two way street. Please watch out for the potholes.

No comments:

Post a Comment