
Do you remember where you were twenty years ago at this very moment? This is not a trick question it is simply a method of introduction.
Twenty years ago, I was pacing the halls of the Hospital at the University of Alabama in Birmingham, waiting for Charlotte to make her debut. The afternoon before, February 25, when were ready to start pushing her royal nibs decided to show some signs of fetal distress. Her heart rate was soaring as the credits to “Hush Hush sweet Charlotte,” were rolling on the television. All calmed down after a huge fluid bolus and Charlotte pulled her first “GILDA” (“Never mind”).
John’s Aunt Charlotte was staying at the old house in Parkway Estates with Beth who was ending the worse case of chicken pox in modern history.
It was now mid afternoon, Monday and I was getting tired. Labor was in full swing, nasty stuff all over the place and I am pushing and pushing and pushing. The doctor hates to deliver in the suites he is a “there is never an easy delivery in the suite, give me the labor room type of guy.” As he calls for the forceps, I pick up my head; hold up my index finger and say “One more try”. Finally this head the size of Gibraltar pops out and the delivery commenced. To this day it is very vivid memory. Sorry baby your head was huge!
We named her Charlotte Mae in honor of her two great aunts. I just could not name the baby Dorothy -Charlotte. Charlotte Mae was the surprise name that was agreed upon. Could you come up with a better combination of Dorothy Mae Kent Harvey and Charlotte Foster Kent? I did not think so. Charlotte was not a traditional name for the 90’s and Mae was just old. These two women have been some of my most true to life angels on earth. Some of you may remember when I had to go to be for 3 months before I could deliver Beth, Aunt Charlotte was there to experience the walking on egg shells with us. The aunts lived together and I am sure Aunt Dorothy was very lonely while Alabama was monopolizing Aunt Charlotte.
Last year, Aunt Charlotte (91) died from metastatic cancer. Two days ago Aunt Dorothy celebrated her 97th birthday.
Today is another reminder to honor and cherish the saints who have influenced our lives. Enjoy their childhood adventures let them live vicariously through you. Learned from them and pray a prayer of thanksgiving for their lives.
Happy 20th Charlotte Mae, love you with all my heart.
Momma
love you too.
ReplyDeleteeven though Aunt Dorothy turned 98 :D
oops :P
ReplyDelete