Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Circle of Guilt or Learned Female Behavior





Several times this week I have started this blog. But then, I remembered something else that I should have been doing. Does this sound like a break out of the guilt disease? It does to me. Earlier this week Mom (Mary) told me that she was not going to take her preoperative physical therapy because Pomona was too far away. Okay Mom, I know that if there were a Lenox sale or a luncheon south of Tom’s River, you would be there. So why not go to therapy? I know there is the drive is tedious. Counting the exits on the Garden State Parkway can be a bore. Pomona is near Atlantic City which I think is close to Exit 38. Spring Lake is Exit 98 so there is 60 miles of non stop bliss going to and from therapy. My second thought was why not do therapy locally? This was not going to fly so I did what any reasonable daughter would do; I called my sister, Deborah. Debbie lives near Winston-Salem, North Carolina. Distance is good in this case. After I ratted my mother out Debbie called and gave my father, Bob, a lecture about muscle tone and the ability to hold the hip prosthesis in place. (I think this is the 4th for that side.) I felt guilty about Debbie doing the dirty work, but not for long.
Mom has been taking a walk around the park when the weather is nice. Okay this translates to walking from her front door to the end of the sidewalk going to town. This equals walking from the door of any Sam’s to the bakery and then back to the front door. A real walk around the park is about 2 miles.
I really felt guilty when the mail came the next day and there was a BIG check from the ‘rents for our anniversary dinner out. There balance was to go toward the new car (Volvo 2007) that we picked up last week. At last…
The following night I was IM’ing Beth who was putting off going to the doctor because she was swamped. She said two words which made me rationalize getting on her case. She had a sore throat and headache for a few days and did not go to medical. I used the MENIGITIS word and she started to get worried (that is mommy code for freaking out). Okay I guilt-ed her into going to medical the next day, but I felt REALLY guilty upsetting her.
Why do females do guilt?
Today Mom and Dad went to Reading (RED-ING) PA., to shop the outlets. Mom said she walked all over and got her exercise walking. I did not ask what she bought, nor did I ask where they ate. Dad was not volunteering any information. After I heard the shopping v/s exercise excuse I just asked her lie on her stomach and do some leg lifts, sometime.
Surgery is 3/17…There is no Irish on her side of the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment